Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Copies of Copies of Copies

I have always felt the true value of art comes in it being one of a kind. A singular, unique creation, sprouted from the mind of the artist. When someone is buying that piece of art, they can do so with the piece of mind that no one else will have it. They have acquired something wholly their own, that reflects their tastes and interests just as it's creation reflected the world view of the artist.

But as an artist, we need to make money. And unless you're Pablo effin' Picasso, you probably can't make a living selling just original pieces. You need to sell prints, and posters, and as much merchandise with your "original art" slapped on as you can.

Until recently, I had never made a print of any of my pieces, but when an interested buyer came asking about a water color pic I did that was auctioned off years ago, I took a chance and offered to make a print for him (ie: printing out a copy of the piece on high-quality paper and Kinkos). He agreed, and I made a bit of extra money. I had an extra copy made as well that was a bit smudged, and found two people who wanted that one. So my mind percolates, wondering if I can actually make some real money selling prints and posters of some of my more popular pieces.

But can I? Should I take a risk and invest money in making good quality copies of my art to sell to those who can't afford the originals, with no guarantee they will actually sell? Or should I wait for the demand, and then make the supply? I'm prone to the latter, but if potential customers don't know I have prints/posters, will they know to ask?

And at what point are the original pieces cheapened by flooding the universe with knock-offs? It would be a bit funny if I could sell a ton of prints of a piece and not actually sell the original.

At this time, I am seeing if people would be willing to pay for posters of HOW FLUFFY GOT TO HEAVEN and prints of ROCK RESTAURANT. I could certainly use the money, and having one's art hanging in a home, in any form, can often pay off as free advertising.

As long as the original customers doesn't let their friends make a free copy for themselves. I'm sure there are people out there who don't mind copies of copies.

No comments:

Post a Comment